Caution: Chimneys CAN Push Carbon Monoxide Inside

Do you have a fireplace in your home?

 

If you have a fireplace and chimney, then you MUST watch this video.

One of our chimney sweeps shot this footage from a customer’s roof and he explains how it relates to carbon monoxide. What you’re looking at may not be clear at first, but what you’re seeing serves as proof that chimneys can push carbon monoxide back inside a house.

What you witness in this video may seem like no big deal, but make no mistake this is a serious, and potentially deadly situation. The reason it’s such a big deal is that MOST people will never know it has happened since it cannot be seen from inside the house or fireplace.


If you’ve watched the video, and the message was not clear let me explain:

The old bricks collapsed and got stuck inside the top of the chimney, blocking the pathway that smoke and air are meant to pass through. If the smoke cannot safely escape the chimney, then the carbon monoxide created has nowhere else to go but back inside the home.

Inhaled Carbon Monoxide Diagram
What happens inside the body when a person inhales carbon monoxide

 

That’s right… the silent killer, carbon monoxide comes right back inside the room where you’re relaxing with the family, trying to enjoy a nice fire on a chilly night.

That’s really scary, but it is preventable. 

 

Annual Inspections Are Important

Please be aware of the dangers of not having an annual chimney inspection by a certified professional.

What you learn from a CSIA Certified Technician when they inspect your chimney and fireplace could actually SAVE YOUR LIFE.  If you’re in the Kansas City area, we can help prevent this carbon monoxide situation from happening to you.

Call us at 913-642-6171 and together, let’s make sure your fireplace is ready for safe burning.

 

If you live outside the KC Metro, then the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) has plenty of homeowner resources and can help you find a certified chimney sweep in your local area.

Read more information on Avoiding Carbon Monoxide. 

#ChimneySafetyWeek

 

Disclaimer: If you have a fire or reason to suspect carbon monoxide is entering your home, get out and call 911. Information provided is intended for educational purposes and is not a substitute for contacting the appropriate professional.